Thursday, July 8, 2010

NO LIMITATIONS: Notes on President Noynoy’s Inaugural

BY TED LAGUATAN

Manila, Philippines. The US Pinoy delegates were understandably as excited as young children on a field trip. They got a special group invitation to the inaugural for having supported President Noynoy in the US. I chose not to go. I figured I could see more on TV. I also wanted to avoid the fierce mid-day Philippine heat. I caught up with the US Pinoys that evening in the inaugural celebration at Sofitel (formerly Philippine Plaza) Hotel.

“We were soaked with sweat. We did not expect it to be so incredibly hot!” they complained.
“Well, at least you’re now a part of history.” I half seriously answered.

It is unusually hot in the Philippines these days. Maybe former Vice President Al Gore, apostle of global warming who was recently here, brought the overpowering heat with him as a prop and accidentally left it.

Even President Noynoy and Vice President Jejomar Binay, were continuously wiping the sweat of their brows when I was watching them on TV during the ceremonies.

About half a million people attended. Despite the heat, there were smiles all around – reflecting the nation’s mood and thoughts: the end of a corrupt administration and hopes for a better government and a better life for Filipinos. The TV cameras showed one flashed image that stood out in my mind – a very pretty young woman in yellow hugging with perfect ease a small child also wearing yellow close to her breast and holding a yellow umbrella with her right hand which protected both from the sun - gracefully and slowly swaying in rhythm with the music being played on stage. Beautifully surreal - like a Madonna and Child painting. She looked so beatifically cool not showing any signs of being affected by the intense heat - happiness reflected on her face.

------o------

Protocol required the appearance of outgoing president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. Her role was to ride in the same car as President Noynoy to the grandstand, do a final review of the representatives of the different military branches, salute and walk to a waiting car that would take her away. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for her as people booed, some shouting “Go away.” or “Sulong.” (“scram”)___as soon as they saw her and until she boarded the takeaway car.

I wondered how she felt when she heard those words. Does she still feel anything? Guilt? Shame? Or has she armored herself against these feelings? “They’re just envious of me because I had the guts to do what they could not.”; “I’ve got more money than they, who cares what they think?”; “Wait until I become Prime Minister.” Did she have these thoughts as people booed her?

I also felt sorry for the country because Arroyo had so much opportunity to do good but is now perceived instead as having enriched herself and her husband through corruption. She even sought to stay in power for the sake of being in power – even showing scorn and bad faith by making numerous midnight appointments and leaving government coffers empty. She says “Let history judge me.” It is not history which will judge her. Even history can be manipulated. It is God who will judge her. But I never lose hope in human beings. Hopefully, she finds a way to redeem herself by doing some really good things for her fellow human beings.

------o------

One other reason I decided to watch on TV aside from avoiding the hellish heat - was to observe the eyes, facial expressions and gestures of President Noynoy as he delivered his inaugural speech and listen carefully to ascertain whether or not his tone and manner of speaking and voice inflections indicated a sincere belief in what he was saying. I know I could observe better watching on TV as the cameras usually zooms on a speaker’s face. They did.

Having been a trial lawyer for many years, I have developed a very good sense of how sincerely a person believes in what he is saying. Politicians or their speech writers can easily compose lines that they know their audience wants to hear. But whether or not they really believe in what they are saying is another matter.

“I will not be able to face my parents and you who have brought me here if I do not fulfill the promises I made.”

“My parents expect nothing less, died for nothing less than democracy and peace. I am blessed by this legacy. I will carry this torch forward.”

I watched the expressions on the president’s face as he said these words, watched his eyes become teary and noted his gestures, tone of voice and inflections. There was no doubt in my mind that he sincerely meant what he was saying.

----o----

Shortly after his speech, the child of destiny headed for Malacanang riding alone at the back of a black Mercedes? What thoughts may have crossed his mind on the way to the palace?

Lining the streets along the way were huge yellow banners one after the other bearing either the portrait of his mother or father with the words “Salamat po.” (“Thank you.”). Surely, thoughts of his martyred father and his late president mother entered his mind and he must have shed a tear or two as he passed and saw these banners: “I have just been sworn as President and without the two of you, this would not have happened.”

As he rode farther away from the inaugural site, he must have viewed the usual scenes of everyday life along Manila’s streets: homeless raggedly dressed families here and there living under shady trees, ordinary people walking along the sidewalks, beggars, cigarette vendors, sidewalk peddlers, tricycles, “karitons” (wooden push carts), small shops, students in uniforms, policemen directing traffic.

A deeply religious man like his mother, he must have prayed: “Lord, can I really bear the heavy burden of serving all of my people. I will surely need your help.”

------o------

The next day, during the conference at Sofitel titled “Overseas Filipinos for Good Governance” we received a call from Malacanang that the President would see us at 3 P.M. Tour buses took our 170 or so delegates and family members or guests to the palace - some seeing it for the first time. We were brought to the main receiving room and served juices, small sandwiches and some picka pickas. As soon as the President appeared, the delegates were like Elvis fans trying to get close to their idol. I watched from the back quite amused at the shoving, pushing and positioning. I’ve watched similar phenomena many times including watching supporters and admirers shoving and pushing to get close to Noynoy’s mother Cory when she was newly installed in Malacanang.

The protocol officer announced that the president welcomed having pictures taken with the group. The group was too big so that it had to be split into several groups. More intense pushing and shoving as so many wanted to be pictured close to the president. A short woman, about 4’10 was shrieking: “I won’t be seen! I won’t be seen!” as taller people covered her from the photographers. President Noynoy heard her as she was close enough and pulled her saying: “Halika, ditto ka sa harap ko.” (“Come, stay in front of me.”) She was jumping with joy after___ smiling as if she hit the jackpot. Not inclined to push and shove, I opted out from the photo ops and instead talked to the palace waiters and servers. Some had been there for as long as the nine years plus term of ex-President Arroyo and hoped that they would not be fired. I do not think that they will be except maybe for a few for understandable security reasons.

The happy group went back to the buses – each with his own story to tell. One woman tripped in her rush to get near the president and was sad that she did not get to speak to him. Another triumphantly declared that the president recognized him. Still another was proudly showing the signature of Noynoy that she got him to sign. The happiest of all was the 4’10 woman.

Atty. Laguatan is one of a few lawyers whose expertise in immigration law is officially certified by the California State Bar. He also does accident injuries and wrongful death cases. For communications: 455 Hickey Blvd., Ste. 516, Daly City, California 94015 or 101 California St. Suite 2450, San Francisco, California 94111. Tel 650 991-1154. Fax 650 991 1186. Email laguatanlaw@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment