Wednesday, January 5, 2011

FROM THE CAPITOL: Fresh Start to a New Year

From Senator Leland Yee

January 1, 2011 marks the start of another New Year. As another chapter is written in our memoirs, we can reflect on the events of the previous year, recalling all the events that made it one to remember. While we walk through the memories, let us also take the lessons learned to make this New Year an even better one.

As we embark on this New Year, we think of what good things we would like showered upon ourselves, our families and friends. As a Senator representing the largest Filipino and Filipino American population outside of the Philippines, I am proud to be an ally for the community. In the years I’ve spent serving this community I’ve had the pleasure to meet many Filipino and Filipino Americans and create lasting friendships. As an immigrant child myself, I have great admiration for the many individuals who strive to work hard in order to create a better opportunity for themselves and their families.

There is a long history of strength and perseverance in the Filipino and Fil-Am community. Every day, Filipinos across nations go out to work in a wide range of jobs. They volunteer in countless ways to improve their communities. They raise their children, provide for their families, and help to keep this great country running. As we enter this new year, I am confident that together we will be able to overcome any hardships that may come in the way and will be able to collectively achieve out goals and accomplishments for this year.

In the start of my second term as Senator of the 8th Senate District, I am committed to serving my constituency. My office has many things in store for the community. We will continue to provide the services essential to the community and provide the assistance needed to help you. Look for information in the coming months on community events and opportunities in the district, including our annual Community Breakfast in San Francisco and San Mateo counties, and the annual Richmond District Health Fair.

Another event in store is yet another celebration for Filipino-American History Month. As you recall, the California State Legislature passed Senate Concurrent Resolution 48 in 2009 to officially declare that month, and every October thereafter as such. Over the course of the month, I enjoyed the company of friends in the Filipin American community to celebrate this momentous occasion and I look forward to celebrating again with the community. I hope that you will join me again as we celebrate the history, culture, traditions, and heritage of Filipino and Filipino Americans in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment